Healthy Homemade Coconut and Chocolate Cereal
Generally, sweet cereals are not considered as the best start for a new day. However, did you know that you can prepare cereals at home in healthy and diet version?
Try these tasty crispy homemade cereals with coconut and chocolate bites made of wholegrain flour and oatmeal. Compared to cereals from the store, these contain much less sugar, fats and no ingredients, which shouldn’t be there. Additionally, they contain higher amount of fiber.
A pleasant aroma will spread around your house during baking. Homemade cereals are not only healthy, but also nutritionally rich and surely tasty for whole family. Cereals are easy-to-prepare meals and are non-demanding regarding ingredients – you will need just a few of them.
Substitute commercial cereals by this healthier variant, which will give you plenty of energy for your morning. Enjoy it with milk, yogurt, apple purée or just plain.
If you would like to make the meal even more healthy and diet, the cane sugar can be easily substituted by equal amount of, for example, xylitol or stevia.
Make your morning special and don’t hesitate to prepare these tasty homemade cereals.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (I recommend this one)
- 1 ½ cup fine oats (I recommend these)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 3 to 4 Tbsp coconut oil (I recommend this one)
- ½ baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup cane (or coconut) sugar (I recommend this one)
- 1 egg or 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- raisins/chocolate chips (70%+) (to taste) (I recommend this one)
- In a bowl, blend together flour, oats, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the raisins, chocolate and coconut; mix thoroughly. For best results, use a blender.
- Put the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Then, mix in coconut, raisins and chocolate chips.
- Shape longer dough rolls that are as thin as possible – the thinner the roll, the crunchier the cereal.
- Place these rolls into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (370°F).
- Take the rolls out of the freezer and cut them into small pieces – again, the smaller the pieces, the crunchier the cereal.
- Place the cut pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes – depending on the cereal size. Bake cereals until it starts turning brown.
- The cereal is the tastiest right after cooling, but it is also delicious days later.
- Keep cereal in a sealed container and eat within 5 days.
|Preparation time||25 minutes|
|Nutritional information / 1 serving|
For more related recipes, click on the categories belowVeganSnacksNut-FreeCoconutvegan breakfast recipesdairy free breakfast recipesEgg Free Breakfast RecipesHealthy Vegan Snack RecipesDairy-Free Oat Recipes
I am a fit food wizard nutritionist and I conjure up these healthy and tasty fitness recipes.
My goal is to show you that eating healthy can be easy-breezy.
✉️ Send me your favorite recipe.
Email it to me and I will be happy to try it and publish it.