Healthy Lemon Curd without Butter
Are you asking what is lemon curd? Lemon curd is a thick sweet sauce or spread prepared from citrus fruits, most often made of lemons, but also oranges or limes can be used. It has a pudding consistency and a distinctive, sweet and sour flavor. However, classic lemon curd has a high fat and sugar content and therefore I came up with an easy recipe for this lower calorie, fit version of traditional lemon curd without butter and refined sugar.
This lemon spread is very easy to make, you will have it prepared in a moment. It has a pleasant creamy consistency, it is honey-sweetened and will also please you with its high vitamin C content.
If you have a stash of excess lemons at home and you don't know what to do with it, I recommend to prepare this healthy lemon curd from them. It can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks and can be used in many forms - you can eat it all by itself, but it also goes well with yogurt, muffins, or as a filling for cakes, no-bake desserts, pancakes, and parfaits (layered cups).
Definitely don't avoid egg yolks, they are also important source of proteins as they contain only about 1g less protein compared to egg white, and are amazing source of lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamins A, D, E, B6 and B12, and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, sodium, zinc, and phosphorus.
This fitness lemon curd contains only 133 kcal and 5 g of fat per serving, while traditional recipe contains more than twice of those values. If you like the sweet and sour flavors together, definitely try this diet lemon curd out.
- 4 egg yolks
- juice of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp starch
- 3 Tbsp honey (I recommend this one)
- ½ cup water
- In this recipe, it is very important to prepare all of the ingredients in advance.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl.
- In a pot, mix water with yeast, and add sweetener.
- Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When it starts to set, add lemon juice, and peel. Next, fold in the egg yolks.
- Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour lemon curd into a sealed container and store in the refrigerator.
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Nutritional information/ 1 serving|