Sometimes everyone is in a mood for traditional slavic pierogi. In that case we want to prepare homemade meal just like from granny and to please our cravings. If you are looking for a healthier and lighter alternative, here is an easy and healthy pierogi recipe for you.
Pierogi is a traditional slavic food invented by our grandmothers, to fill the hungry stomachs of hard-working men in the fields. They are traditionally prepared from white flour, potatoes and eggs. They are mostly filled with sheep cheese, potatoes, or a combination of quark, jam or poppy. Nowadays men are hard-working in the office more, so healthier alternative of pierogi is just beneficial to them.
These healthy pierogi bring a new dimension to the traditional recipe. In order to achieve a healthier but still delicious effect - replace half of the amount of added flour with chickpea flour and the other half with whole-wheat flour. By mixing these two flours together, pierogi will get better quality values of nutrients that will enrich our bodies. The protein content is increased, the gluten content is reduced and we can also enjoy the richer portion of vitamins and minerals.
You can fill healthy pierogi with any ingredients according to your own fantasy, I recommend trying them with jam or quark. They really taste great!
- Cook potatoes with skin, until tender.
- When cooked, peel boiled potatoes and grate them finely- finely grated potatoes make the dough soft.
- Add egg, both flours and form dough that has no lumps and doesn’t stick to your hands.
- If necessary, add some more flour.
- Roll out dough (thick, app. 3mm) on a floured work surface and cut dough pieces with a pizza cutter.
- Fill each piece with jam/quark or other chosen filling, and fold the edges.
- Cook pierogi in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes until they rise to the top.
- Strain, serve, and decorate with yogurt, fruit, and cinnamon for a sweet option, or goat cheese/sour cream and onion, for a savory option.
|Preparation time||45 minutes|
|Nutritional information/ 1 serving|